Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Brighter Horizons

I haven't written on here in a while. I really needed a break from the world of cancer. A part of me was going to kinda let the blog go after I finished treatments, but then I remembered that there will be so many newly diagnosed young ladies each day. These women need hope that they will do great throughout treatment and that they too can do well years later.

It has been one month since I finished radiation and did my first Zometa treatment. First, Zometa was easy. No side-effects, no fatigue. If anyone is ER+/PR+, I would add this to my maintenance routine. It can't hurt and some new studies show it has such a benefit for us ladies. Second, I am finally feeling like myself again. I can finally workout for my normal 2 hours. I can finally run. I can finally lift heavy objects again. Granted my left hand swells a little, but for some reason if I workout the swelling goes down. I am gonna use exercise to beat lymphedema into the ground.

I also moved. I finally moved in with my boyfriend. A year ago, I can remember being at his house looking for apartments for myself with plans that he would probably move in a few months down the line. Cancer came, we put that off. A year later, I found a job near the shore and we are moving back to where my heart lies, which is ten minutes from the beach. Most of our stuff is moved in and we are slowly getting settled into co-habitating. Also I got a new job at my old company. My new job seems like it will be a good step for me in the right direction. Hopefully there will be more supervisory stuff down the line and more clinical work. I will definitely miss my clients and coworkers at my current job. I look forward to most of my days there and not many people can say that about their work.

I am also in the works of taking/planning on taking some pre-requisites for going back to school for my APN. Yes, I am crazy. This might take a long time, but I have my whole life ahead of me. This spring I will take Anatomy&Physiology and Microbiology. A very helpful friend at work found a school online for me... I can take these courses until I can apply at the local community college for their BSN/MSN program. I want to be able to do psychotherapy and medication monitoring. I really feel the therapist gets to see the patient as the whole. I would like to be able to do both, maybe I can make a better impact on people if I do that.

1 comment: