Tuesday, November 7, 2017

CT Scans Came & Left a Wake of Sadness

   I had the results of my CT scans read to me last Monday (the 30th) at chemo. MSK compared the CT from the ER to theirs which apparently is a "rough comparison" due to the ER not using Barium and MSK using standard Barium. All CTs of the Abdomen I get use Barium and the ER was such a mess with doctors leaving their shifts and not finishing my scans, I never got Barium and ascites were missed on my CT at the hospital. Due to the tumors in my Abdominal Lining and constipation from being on pain medication, barely moving, and bed bound... the Ascites remained in hiding. The ICU attending finally listened to me and drained my belly twice, but no one thought I would need a drain there. The theory was that my Right Pleural Drain would drain my stomach. This theory was wrong as proven by my CT scans.
   The CT scans proved I had ascites and I was being set up for a 3rd Paracentesis at Riverview Medical through Sloan, but this time a drain was going to be placed. I have walked around with an EGG shaped stomach for 60days. I was told to gain weight and it would dissipate, I did. The EGG remained. I was told to eat 75-90g of protein a day due to being insufficient in protein which is why I was also retaining fluid in my feet and lymphedema arm. I have been and my protein has not improved on labs. My labwork is pretty much perfect. My alkaline phosphate is elevated by a lot, but that does not point to any organ failure or something we do not know - Cancer is in my abdomen and on my liver. That number and my tumor markers doubled in-between my 2 outpatient chemos in October. My scans also showed slight growth of the abdominal tumors.
  What do you do when there is slight progression? My doctor usually changes chemos. This time we are adding the chemo pill, Xeloda 1,000mg a day for 14days on, 1 week off, to my every three week schedule of Ixempra. She wants to do two rounds and then rescan me.
   What is the plan after that? Usually my doctor has one, but right now she thinks I am too sick for a trial. Need to get stronger. She is not sure if there is something she has not tried that I have not had a similar drug to in the past. This is wonderful (sarcasm). Not giving up on me, but running out of options she can think of. This is when I say "F that" and ask for second opinions, I ask my friends on Facebook. I ended up getting into MD-Anderson Cooper to see Dr. Grana thanks to LBBC for calling them for me and helping us see her. We also will be see Dr. Kalinsky at NYP-Columbia, who runs a lot of clinical trials at that sister hospital to NYP-Cornell. Odds are, they have nothing I do not know already.
  I know I have had multiple lines of chemotherapy, which limits trials. I have used every anti-hormonal. I have even gone on off label drugs, which failed to work and resulted in rapid progression of my disease. I know my family was told in September that I would not leave the hospital and to get my affairs in order, but I left and I am here. I no longer look like a starvation child. I look like a well fed pregnant with cancer woman. I was told by my doctor that in no way she is giving up on me, but I need to actually start to think about the day where I am going to be off treatment and made comfortable. The word hospice has been said in my presence. Lets just say things look good on one end and bad at the next end and I am a teeter totter either getting a hopeful recovery or going on Hospice and possibly not seeing my 1st wedding anniversary in April or even seeing 2018 with sound mind.
  Why am I writing this? Because no blogger does. Some do, but a lot of us do not even want to think that we could be facing the end. I have hope in second opinions. My oxygen and trach prevent me from going far to get them. I would love to go to Dana Farber, but that trip would be huge in winter with a girl who needs oxygen and her trach is still within her.
  The trach might be able to come out, when I do not know, before Thanksgiving like I hoped, probably not. We are waiting on getting a night nurse to monitor me for a few weeks off my two hours of sleep I use the manual ventilator and not just me and my oxygen. Kyle nor our parents are medical professionals and we tried it and all got freaked out. We turned to insurance and are waiting for those steps to get put into place. This really is a bunch of paperwork that needs to get send by my Pulmonologist to my Insurance Case Manager, who said last week she will start the ball on that now.
  I want to call two more hospitals for second opinions. I know we called NYU and I have to email a friend who knows someone at Dana Farber. NYU said they will call when they get my records from Sloan and Cornell. I have to email my friend about Dana Farber (reminder send email now).
  I do not want to accept "comfortability" if I have not given my all to get stronger. I am stronger. I can walk up the stairs easy peasy even after the Pleurodesis I had yesterday. I eat food that will make me gain the weight my doctors ask me to, so I can withstand treatments. I go to every VNA appointment and do whatever they ask... If it will get me better I will do it.
    I am not going to give up because of this EGG shape my (great muscular) body has formed into. I will give up when I know I have searched high and low for the answers to make me better and there is nothing nowhere nada zip. Then I am ok with going into that nothingness...nowhere, blackness, zip. For today, I choose light, life, and love.

12 comments:

  1. Bless your tenacity, my friend. ❤ We are with you, every step of the way.

    I am not religious, but I don't think death is a void. I think we go somewhere, when we die. Or, maybe we stay right here, but in a different way. When we are born, where does the essence of who we are come from? Random configurations of brain cells that interact? Maybe. But... maybe not.

    I almost died as a teen, and had an out of body experience. I saw my body from above and remember how that felt. It was very calm and just slighty sad that my life was going to be so short. Then emergency responders arrived and I got sucked back into my body. Because of that, and a few other experiences, I think there is something more about our existence than our senses are able to sense. This probably sounds crazy, but I think death is like a 2nd birth. Birth must be painful and terrifying for babies, but we do not remember being born, nor do we remember the discomfort or any fear of the unknown. Our mothers had some serious work to do, and most of us were surrounded by friends and family soon after being born, but we came into this world alone. We leave alone, as well. Hopefully surrounded by loved ones, again. Wherever we go, I call it the Next Place, I believe we will be surrounded (or maybe recombined) with loved ones. I think friends & family that have died before us will be there to welcome us into that new world.

    Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we just become nothing, but I can't believe that. I KNOW that I saw my body from above and there is no way to explain that. So, I look forward to seeing my grandma, my mom, and so many badass metsters that I have loved and lost in my 6.5 yrs of cancer.

    We have not met in this physical world, but I think we WILL meet in the next one. Meanwhile, thank you for being your own badass self and sharing the ride with the rest of us. I treasure you. Every. Single. Day. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori who knows we could meet if we get well enough lol. I don't see myself going to San Francisco anytime soon unless Kyle works a project there and I am well enough...then I can go hang out with you Bay Ladies. After Aziza passed & my other friend moved to Berkley, I do not go there as often as I would like. Its our favorite city, but the film/media jobs are few for Kyle (we looked) and neither of us like LA enough to move there. Soo much for California dreamin''..... will always be a NYC/NJ girl I guess

      Delete
  2. I agree with Lori. Your tenacity is amazing and you are blessed to have a husband and family who are caring for you and doctors who refuse to give up on you. That, alone, is amazing given how quick the medical community is to throw up its hands. My daughter was given no options and we did not look for more, as you are doing.I wish we had. As much as Sheryl hated the idea of "fighting" or being in a battle with cancer, it is an apt metaphor when someone is truly fighting with all her might as you are. As long as you have the will, you should use it. You are incredibly resourceful in identifying any and every physician and drug that might destroy the demonic cancer in your body. It's a fight worth fighting, if there ever was one. You inspire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was someone I agreed with (and I wish I knew her for much longer than I did) it was Sheryl. She and I felt we had to give it our all and not stop living. Despite not feeling well, she went to that YSC gala, met famous people and looked beautiful. I remember helping her pick out that purple dress. She looked so pretty in it. She looked pretty in PJs, she could have worn them if she wanted and would not have cared what anyone thought. She inspired me to leave my doctor and go to NYC. She also told me to apply for disability in 2015, which I did not and although I love my job, I never could work more than 6mo after that Spring of 2015. She was smart and knew I probably should not have or gone back to work. We cannot change our choices and I figured at least I went back, tried and helped people get their lives back together & learned from them also how to keep mine together.

      Delete
  3. You are such a fighter and you inspire me with every post. Thank you for continuing to share your story. Live and hugs from Ed and I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 you guys too. I hope Vegas continues to treat you well.

      Delete
  4. You are an inspiration, Caitlin! Keep up the good fight - meds, willpower, support, positive attitude and encouragement from family and friends - all working toward becoming well again! My prayers are with you and many of the Sisters ask how you are doing? They keep you in prayer as I do. Love, Sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too. Tell them thank you, I don't expect that out of anyone, but I am glad that they do. God saved me from dying. Most people do not make it out of Pulmonary ICU... which I learned at discharge when no one knew how to do a discharge plan but my nurse.

      Delete
  5. have you tried immuno-therapy? I have a friend that was told he had 6 months to live, 5 years ago. He has no tumors. All have gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it actually put me in the hospital. it did not work and damaged my lungs (which were super strong before Opidivo) and I only had two doses. I should have left the hospital without a traech but my lungs were too weak to combat that damage and the cancer. I wish it worked. On paper I was a good candidate for a PDL-1 based on newly publish research about my tumor having a high mutation burden. Turns out it didn't matter. I am not a fan of immunotherapy unless its targeted for Breast Cancer and we know my cancer formed out of bad luck, abnormal estrogen levels (probably from being on birth control for bad cramps for 8yrs), and genes that no one could control. Targeted therapies, anti-estrogens, chemotherapies, and new T-Cell therapies seem to be where my doctor is leading me to go.

      Delete

  6. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
    I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
    her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
    to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
    find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
    the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
    kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
    contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
    cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
    should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
    there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
    and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
    receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
    for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
    courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
    before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
    dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
    happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
    million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad,but I don't know why he did not accept the offer,he only said
    I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
    here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
    kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
    Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105 for the cure, he will help you out
    with the problems.To get more information you can message me via email robertmary8947@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete