Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Run...

The one thing I have kept up throughout my entire chemo trip is running. I actually have increased my distance through treatment. Since I was not cleared to run until 6 weeks post-mastectomy.  I had to start from ground 0 back on December 26th

I am quite proud of myself that within 3 months I have gone from 20 minutes of run/walking (aprox 2 miles) to 60 minutes of run/walking (aprox 5 miles). I do run at a 5:2 ratio at a 1% incline on my treadmill. I do not run continuously due to side-effects from chemo & also due to an old knee injury. I also stay inside just in case I do not make the entire run, I am at least safe at home. I have not had to finish any of my planned runs early & I am stronger and faster than I was a year ago. Last year, I had a knee injury and couldn't run at all. This year I am a chemo kid who runs & runs.

I think considering my life situation this is pretty damn good. It makes me wonder how fast and how strong I will be when chemo is over. I wonder if I have built incredible stamina running during chemo. Maybe a half-marathon or marathon is in my future....

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome Cait, you are an inspiration! If you want to start thinking half-marathons, consider this: Disney Princess Half Marathon,Feb. 2012! My mom and I are running, and the more princesses the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds do-able. Your mom got you running!! YAY! If I am not in New Orleans that weekend, its something I will consider.

    ReplyDelete