Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cornell Consult

I have not posted in while, I needed a break from Cancerland & the internet.

This past Wednesday I went to Cornell to see Dr. Valdhat to have a consult & discuss her Copper Study. I am not eligible for the study at this time. I need to have no evidence of disease, which means no tumor markers - mine are 221 & they need to be under 30. She also said no evidence of the effusion on a scan. Considering I have to wait to be a part of that study, she did give me a good second option.

1. She said that I am on the right medication - Femara, with Lupron. She said that the only thing she would change is having the 1mo Lupron & also getting my hormone levels tested monthly.
2. She was very happy I have been on the Zometa every 6mo & told me to continue that to prevent bone metastasis & osteoporosis
3. She said all my supplements were good & that NOTHING (unlike Tamoxifen) interferes with the effectiveness of Femara.
4. She wants my tumor markers & scans done monthly at first b/c I had no symptoms, so I have to rely on scans & bloodwork.
5. She reported that its RARE for my type of cancer to come back that quick & without symptoms.
6. She was shocked at how much I exercise considering the fluid in my lung, but said to keep doing what I am doing.

All of this she will be emailing to my doctor & it is pretty much the exact same things he wanted to do. I am happy they are both on the same page.

She did recommend something different, which is getting my original tumor (which is currently held in lock down at Sloan Kettering) sent out for testing. She is sending to this place called Foundation One. This place tests for genetic abnormalities beyond getting the usual BRCA1/2 bloodwork. It also tests to see why my tumor was resistant to Tamoxifen & what hormonal or chemos or targeted therapies would help enhance my survival. She said it should be a month before I get those results.

The appointment went well. It is my last cancer related doctor's appointment until Oct 1, when I will get my follow up CT scan. Naturally I needed a break from the blog & cancer for a bit. Over the next week, I will be back to posting about Supplements, Cancer Studys & ways to prevent or enhance your treatments.

2 comments:

  1. Well, the fact that they want to run tests on the old tumor, is a great thing. This will make it easier for them to get you completely cancer free. I am praying for you darling.

    ReplyDelete