Friday, November 19, 2010

All Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

My drain removal got pushed back to today because they were still outputting a lot of fluid. I was a little frustrated because I truly want these out. I am craving a real shower. I am also looking forward to getting out of lounge gear and looking less homeless and unshowered.


Its a good thing that I had to wait until today, because yesterday I had my first negative side-effect from surgery. You hear about all these risks associated with surgery that only a FEW people get. I got to be the lucky few. I developed a seroma under my left armpit due to the removal of my axillary lymph nodes. This happens to less than 20% of people, which I was told "wouldn't be a worry." It has become a worry. My arm pit looks like someone cut a tennis ball in half and glued it to the inside. My physican is going to aspirate it with a needle today (insert sarcasm) What Fun! I just hope that it goes away and I have my arm pit back. I do not even care if they wait until Monday to remove my drains. I just want to put down my arm, it is really starting to get painful.


For all of you google geeks like me whom want to know "What is a seroma?":

seroma is a pocket of clear serous fluid that sometimes develops in the body after surgery. When small blood vessels are ruptured, blood plasma can seep out; inflammation caused by dying injured cells also contributes to the fluid.
Seromas are different from hematomas, which contain red blood cells, and form abscesses, which contain pus and result from an infection.

In my case, my seroma (you know kinda like the song My Sharona) is filled with lymphatic fluid. The drains are kinda working its way out of me, but trust me that won't do the job. Wish me luck with getting another needle put into me today. Usually I would be frightened, but now needles nor blood do bother me. Maybe I shouldn't have given up on that whole doctor thing...people are right you eventually get used to needles and blood the more you are exposed to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment