Monday, November 15, 2010

Surgery...a few days late

I am sorry I have been a bad blogger. I have been mentally "out of it" since I came out from surgery on Thursday. The anesthesia and pain took a big hit on me and blogging was seriously the last thing on my mind at that time.

On Thursday, I went with my family and friends in tow to Sloan for my surgery. I got to wait 2hours until my appointment, I was a nervous wreck. It also didn't help that the admitting nurse kept trying to stab me in my hand for the IV, but my hand has 0 veins and can never take IV. I kept trying to explain that but alas, no one listens to me. My surgeon even explained this twice to two different nurses and they didn't listen to her...when does a nurse not follow a physician's orders?

I went into surgery. It was strange and very hi-tech. All I remember is a nurse and my doctor holding my hand. I woke up hours later in a room with my family around me. I honestly could not remember much, but the anesthesia apparently made me very giddy and outgoing and in 0 pain.

Hours later I came to, they removed all cancer. I woke up with the same size chest, which was a little disappointing because I have been living in an allusion that I was always a C cup, when I am really a big A. LOL

I also found out that they had to remove my left axillary lymph nodes (right under my armpit) even tho my prior testing did not show any signs of cancer in that area.  It is still unclear if they were cancerous or not. I should know when I get my pathology report back next week. My left armpit has 0 sensation and it feels like it doesn't exist, but I know its there. When they went in for surgery they saw suspicious signs of cancer in at least 2 nodes, they removed "fatty pocket of nodes" which also took away some of my sensations in that area.

I am 100% sure I am going to need chemo therapy. They are so far recommending "Dose dense" chemo either TCH or TAC. I am not too sure when that will start, but I should know more details once the path returns. I will be meeting with my oncologist on Nov 22 and have my postoperative appointment with my surgeon on Nov 23. I should know more details about pathology, prognosis, and further treatment.

The days after surgery were hard and taxing, but I tried my best to keep moving. I slept a lot and I moved as much as I could. I started a small walking regimen yesterday, I am up to 45min now. This is all I can do until I get my drains out. Sadly, I still have drains in me now, which seem to be producing less and less post-surgical fluid. That is a good thing, which means I am recovering 1 week faster than expected and will be getting my drains out this coming Wednesday Nov 17.

So far I am spending a lot of time relaxing, recovering, and itching to resume normal activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment