Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sike!

Remember back in the 90s when people used to say "Sike!" when they told you something was true, when it really was just a huge fabrication. Today, I had a classic example of that...except it wasn't funny.

We went all of the way by car & train to NYC to get my poison in my veins. Ran late btw and I got splashed by some taxi on 3rd Ave, because apparently in NYC I am transparent to taxis. Got to Sloan, waited, as they were held up. At this point my anxiety was through the roof, my hands always shake when I get anxious and I couldn't barely hold a pencil to fill paperwork. We FINALLY get beyond the waiting room to start chemo & then the worst thing possible could happen....

Surprise! I can't start today. Apparently the Femara given to me by UPenn for my IVF treatments interacts with EC & if I started today EC wouldn't be effective. Sloan had no idea I was on Femara still nor did Penn tell me it was an issue after I left my "harvesting" surgery on Sunday. I was told "I could start the next day." This was a classic case of miscommunication.

After I cried for an hour and worried profusely about the money I wasted coming to NYC, not starting chemo, and worrying about going back to work...you know, the usual worries. My doctor kindly apologized and educated me and my mother about the risks of starting. They also did my blood-work for Penn at Sloan so I can stop the Femara ASAP tomorrow and start chemo on Monday. The social worker also met with me an confirmed that Sloan completed my NJ Transit disability discount paperwork ($13 compared to $30 round trip  ) & reported that she is going to apply for me to get some funds from Sloan for transportation. They also sent out letters to all necessary persons to get my disability extended until the end of January, as they do it on a month to month basis. If necessary I will have the day of chemo and whatever days after that are my "worst" off from work, I get the whole month of January to figure it out.

I am still a little upset. I really just wish I could start, but now this gives me a chance to enjoy my NYE. It also allows me to actually make the trip out in PA without worrying about nausea in my car ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment