Wednesday, November 3, 2010

No More Testing

Finally, finally done with all the testing before surgery. I felt like a human lab rat ... definitely not the ideal situation for using my paid-time-off from work. I would rather be on vacation or at least doing something fun in NYC. Instead, I got to see all the wonders of Sloan Kettering Hospital in NYC. I got to wait in many waiting rooms, steal many free candies, drink some odd crystal-light drink pre-PET scan, and eat the same pretzels/graham crackers that they seem to serve in every waiting room through out the hospital. Good news is that I am done with anymore testing for now.

I first went to a biopsy of my axillary lymph nodes (which is under your armpit). Surprisingly that wasn't painful and I got the bonus of having my left arm numbed for 1 hour post procedure. I also got to have a PET Scan. I always heard about these things in neuropsychology classes, but yesterday I actually got to have one done to myself. It was strange to say the least. I drank some fluid, which tastes like Crystal Light, and was injected with radioactive material. I was highly radioactive, kinda like Radioactive Man from the Simpsons, but much cuter. I fell asleep through the whole procedure, it was a nice nap. The last step was pre-surgical testing, which was not worth the 2.5 hour wait. All I got done was a blood-test and an EKG...I think that was the least exciting part of my day. Considering I have been to the doctor almost 100 times over the last year, I have had enough blood drawn and EKGs done for an "average" persons lifetime.

Next steps are:
1.  Finishing up some paperwork for SSD and also getting more financial paperwork filled out by my physicians. I am hoping I can nab a little financial assistance from organizations to help with copays and transportation costs. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

2. Finalizing plastics and meeting with my plastic surgeon at Sloan next Monday. This would be almost any 20-something year old's dream. If it were under any other circumstances, it would be mine too jk. But seriously at least this will make this whole process a little less psychologically traumatizing for me.

3. Figuring out what Sloan and Virtua both will recommend for my hematology treatments. I think I will have to figure this out next Monday or on surgery next Thursday.

4. Getting a wig. This is truly going to be strange, but I have my hairdresser, whom went through this not too long ago helping me out with a few wigs. Thanks Michelle!

5. Getting all my loose ends tied up with help of Kyle's handy dandy to-do list (btw Ky put this stuff on that list too!!!)

Okay off to get some of this stuff done..

1 comment:

  1. Remember the words my friend asked me to sahre with you..
    I AM STRONG, I AM BEAUTIFUL, I AM LOVED" My scars are battle scars, my missing body parts were sacrificed for survival.. this is me now...and I thank God everyday I am here!! If others don't like it, they can kiss my ***...they are the one who have the issues!While going thru it, these issues seemed to pale in comparison to the fight at hand. Yes, it was difficult to accept, but you can do it! If you need help...ask!...OK REPEAT WORDS AT TOP AGAIN!!

    ReplyDelete