Monday, January 9, 2012

I am Strong!

A year ago today, I struggled to run an 11min mile and lost my beautiful hair. I felt like I was gonna lose my identity for 6mo...my fitness, my hair, and my gusto. I had moments when I felt at my lowest especially after radiation when my weight was up 20lbs pre-cancer, but there were moments when I woke up and felt very lucky that I still had my strength, my job, and my health. I exercised through chemo and ran my little legs out, I never wanted to give up. The only thing that knocked me down a bit was radiation, but I bounced right back up.
Today at 5:30a (which I never would have worked out before work pre-cancer) on the treadmill I thought - "Despite 3 surgeries, 16rounds of chemo, 28 sessions of radiation and a nice 15+lb weight gain, I kept running and fighting. I embraced my scarves & wigs. I do not mind my short (although sometimes Will Ferrell like) hair do." 
After that thought I looked down, I was clocking a 8:40min mile, on a significant incline (because only suckers run on flat treadmills in the dead of winter jk), and made it through 4miles. I also realized that right after I completed radiation, I made it through 10weeks of p90x, which is hard as heck, until Tony Horton started to annoy me. Not many people, who don't have cancer can't even do that. To top it off, I have also lost 10lbs of my chemo-pudge since May, 12lb to go. Suck it Cancer
3 weeks until surgery. I am gonna kick ass at the gym and fight off more of this weight, get my immunity up and stay positive. 2012 - only good things will come this year. 
I can blame my positivity on:  
1. my change in meds: From Effexor xr to Celexa
2. positive outlook on my reconstruction
3. A daily dose of Green Monsters. I make mine with MRM Protein Powder, Fruit, PB2, Almond Milk, Spirulina, Psylum Husk, Ground Flax, and Soy Lechtin Granules. I have never had more energy since I started these daily.

2 comments: