Tuesday, February 15, 2011

More Taxol Changes

As of yesterday I went back to my original plan with my Taxol treatments. I did more thinking & I realized that condensing my treatments against my doctor's original recommendations was rash. I really just wanted treatment to be over with and to have my exchange. I need to take things with stride and realize why 12 weeks of Taxol is actually the best option for me. I feel like such a spaz switching my treatment so much, but this is such a hard decision for me. I like to take control on my life, but I also need to trust in other professionals too. 

Here are the reasons why I switched from Biweekly Dose Dense to Weekly Dose Dense Taxol: 
  1. Less side-effects i.e. allergic reaction, bone pain and fatigue
  2. No need to take 5 days of oral steroids after infusion
  3. No need to take the Neulasta (aka causes bone pain also) shot after treatment
  4. Works on the cancer cells more frequently as not only a chemotherapy but as a Targeted Therapy
  5. Infusion is shorter
  6. I won't get bone pain, which won't inhibit me from running or functioning at work
  7. I won't gain weight from excessive Steroids.

The only downside is that they do give me a lot of Benadryl and Ativan to help cope with the Taxol infusion & I cannot drive home from my appointments. This requires me to recruit people from NJ who can help me. If anyone can drive me, please email me. I will let you know if the slot is taken. Kyle is checking to see if he can take any days off in March or April. So far these are the slots taken:

2/28/11 - Kerry
3/7/11 - Juanita
3/14/11 - Juanita
3/21/11 -
3/28/11 -
4/4/11 - Candace
4/11/11 -
4/18/11 - Cindy
4/25/11-Tony C
5/2/11 - Juanita
5/9/11 - Juanita 
5/16/11 - Juanita 

Thanks everyone! Now it is time to reschedule my surgery & re-notify work of more changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment