Friday, August 23, 2013

If slow wins the race, why am I so frustrated.

I AM NOT USED TO GOING SLOW. I like to drive fast. I do not see the point in walking if I can run. I prefer to multitask, so I get done quicker. I have learned that driving fast leads to speed tickets & thankfully I have given that up. I like money more & prefer saving then spending on traffic fines. At work, I am used to being a super-human...I am accepting that I can relax & go slow. This I am okay with.

I am not okay with NOT running. I have not ran since I first learned about the fluid on my lung & when I was cleared to run (i.e. we knew this was not pneumonia) my lung hurt too much to run. I hate walking. I have to figure out how to accept that this is a change, maybe not permanent, but at least for 2 months. I also cannot do plyometrics (i.e. burpees, squat jumps, box jumps). I feel weak. I cough like a smoker when I try to do these things & I feel old. Not 29 old, but 79 old. 

How can I accept this? Someone told me to try walking, so I did. I walked to my gym (which is a first) as it is only 1mi away. I realized in that walk that I must be a lazy bum for not walking there for the past 2yrs. I not only got in some cardio, I got to listen to music and enjoyed the weather. I wanted to run, because I did get bored. I just need to find something positive in walking and accept what I can versus cannot do. I can lift weights & walk. So I have been demoted to normal. No longer super exercise chic running 5+ miles and lifting weights with plyometrics. I walk like a normal person. Ugh. Whatever. This will have to do.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found your blog. I am sorry you have to deal with all this stuff. You are very brave for sharing here. Thank you for this and I pray for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cait-I can't think of any else who I'd call a "super exercise chick" than you, whether you are running or not! I think your mindfulness of all things health and fitness all factor in your super exercise chick status! That's not to say, being told you can't run is fun, it's not!! It's like the second someone tells you can't have something, you IMMEDIATELY want it! Never underestimate the power of walking! I've been at marathons where people walk the whole thing! My running coach aka my mom says, walk with purpose! You got this, girl!
    XOXO, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debbie! Love & miss you.

    ReplyDelete